Breast cancer

Tests & diagnosis

If you've been recalled after a mammogram, you'll need to go through a few more tests.

Your doctor will refer you to a breast specialist for a 'triple test' - a clinical breast exam and medical and personal history, a mammogram or other imaging test, and a biopsy.

If, outside of a mammogram, you discover a lump, puckering, or any other unusual breast change, it’s important that you see a doctor as soon as possible.

Your doctor will perform a clinical breast examination and if necessary, refer you to a specialist breast clinic for further investigation – which might include imaging and a biopsy to establish the exact nature of the problem.

Although most breast changes are a result of benign (non-cancerous) breast conditions, a proper assessment is essential for an accurate diagnosis.